STD screenings help you keep track of your sexual health so that you can take action if there are any problems. They also help prevent the spread of STDs and other sexual diseases. The professionals at Atlanta Women Specialty Group offer screenings for a variety of common STDs. If you think you may have an STD or are at risk for one, getting tested as early as possible is important so that you can start treatment immediately.
The Most Common STDs
While there are many STDs, the most common ones include the following:
- Chlamydia: Can cause ectopic pregnancy and may permanently damage a woman's reproductive system.
- Gonorrhea: This bacterial infection can cause PID and infertility in women if left untreated.
- Syphilis: This is a bacterial infection that can cause blindness, brain damage, and even death if left untreated. It can also be passed on to an unborn child through pregnancy.
- Herpes: Herpes is caused by two different viruses—HSV-1 and HSV-2—and both types can be transmitted through oral sex or vaginal contact with infected lesions.
- HIV: HIV is a virus that attacks your immune system and makes it hard for your body to fight infections. You can get HIV by having sex with someone who has HIV, sharing needles and syringes, or being born to an infected mother.
How Often Should You Get Screened for STDs?
Individuals who are sexually active or have multiple partners should be tested annually. If you have a partner diagnosed with an STD, it's a good idea to be tested as soon as possible after learning this information. Also, if you're pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant soon, then it's recommended that you get tested.